If you are looking to make the first step in a build project investment, selecting the land is arguably the most important piece of the puzzle. Autumn in Tahoe is an excellent time to get outside, walk the landscape, and select the best homesite for your custom build. Creating the perfect mountain retreat takes planning and collaboration with numerous professionals, and the winter months are ideal for such a project.
Some important factors to consider:
- Is there a distinctive feature about this lot (e.g. location, views, size)? If the answer is no, and you are just looking at another lot in the forest, then you might want to keep looking. Especially in large amenity communities like the Retreat, the lot you choose can make your home more desirable vs. other options when there is a lot of inventory for them to choose from.
- What is the sun orientation of the lot? Are you someone who likes to spend time on your back patio/deck and enjoy the afternoon sun? If so, make sure the lot allows you to accomplish that goal.
- Have you looked at all of your options, even if they are in other communities that you haven’t yet considered? You may find something more suitable for your needs, or you may reinforce your #1 pick. Either way, spending a little extra time is worth it. Sometimes smaller communities offer a more intimate feel and have less inventory which may equal better overall value for you, personally.
- Are you informed about any restrictions or design guidelines that could impact your design for your home? Make sure you know what they are before you buy.
- Have you consulted with an architect and/or a builder to come to walk the lot with you? Their input can be invaluable when making a decision to buy a lot.